Sunday, July 14, 2019

Nathan Bedford Forrest & Abraham Lincoln.

An added bonus on Nathan Bedford Forrest...

Author Jack Hurst wrote: (Forrest) was a man possessed of physical valor perhaps unprecedented among his countrymen, as well as, ironically, a man whose social attitudes may well have changed farther in the direction of racial enlightenment over the span of his lifetime than those of most American historical figures.

Now, let’s compare two “great” men of those days. The first of our comparisons wrote: (quote):

“I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races — that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.” (End of quote).

Now for the second quote:

“I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to elevate every man - to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going. I have not said anything about politics today. I don’t propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men foroffice. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I’ll come to your relief.” (End of quote).

As noted in a memo from Mr. John Pankopw: “It seems quite obvious to me that the first quote brands the speaker as a racist, unworthy of being memorialized. Wouldn’t you agree? The quote of the second speaker indicates that he sought to “strengthen fraternal relations” between whites and black, to “elevate every man and depress none.” He pledged to defend his audience (composed of blacks) from oppression. His remark “we may differ in color, but not in sentiment,” shows a remarkable idea of racial brotherhood given the era when the speech was made.”

The first quote was made by, #AbrahamLincoln, the second by #NathanBedfordForrest.

It’s obvious that General Forrest did more for racial equality in his time than any other person of that era.

When General Nathan Bedford Forrest died in 1877 it is noteworthy that his funeral in Memphis was attended not only by a throng of thousands of whites but by hundreds of blacks as well. The funeral procession was over two miles long and was attended by over 10,000 area residents, including 3000 black citizens paying their respects.


No comments:

Post a Comment